Friday, March 9, 2007

Its a BENT ROD too!

So I went out to get myself a putty knife and started cutting away at the oil pan / block seal. Got that off fairly quickly.

Took the oil pickup off to so I could get at the rods.

Rods were easy enough to get out... Much easier than I thought... Remember from my previous post, the piston in cylinder number 1 never quite made it all the way to the top, and I couldnt understand why??

Well, this is why!! BENT Rod!! I couldnt believe that my engine was still running though! It turned over easily enough, and there were no combustion chamber leaks anywhere... This is very odd, considering that most bent rods would have caused major scoring of the cylinder walls and it would have been blow-by heaven! (blow-by is where the oil from the crank case gets into the combustion chamber because of either faulty rings, or too much clearance between the ring and the cylinder walls.

Upon closer inspection of the cyliner walls, I found a little notch at the base of cylinder number 1. This notch must have been made by the force of the bent rod stiking into the cylinder walls... This would have also caused some rather unsettling engine noise!

A closer look! I think I may be REALLY lucky here. Dont think I will need to sleeve this cylinder because the top two rings on the new WISECO pistons will never get as low as where the notch is, so I shouldnt have any sealing issues.... I think!

1 comment:

Tiang said...

Dude that's insane! Bent rod, but u couldn't hear it. Lucky times

So what's the latest mate?