Friday, February 9, 2007

Damn Crankshaft Bolt!!!

Yet another bolt which I cant take off... slowing down progress. I have to get the crankshaft bolt off before I can take the timing chain cover off, which needs to be done before I can get the timing chain off, and then take the head off!

Anyway, dont have the right tools to hold the crankshaft in place while I try to break the bolt loose. So what I ended up doing tonight was modifying the Throttle Body. See, the SMT throttle body is DBW (drive by wire), but it also has a manual linkage. The manual linkage will be the one I will be using since I am disconnecting the SMT computer, hence the DBW. However, the manual part of the throttle body will only open the throttle plate to about 45degrees, not fully open. To make it so that the manual part of the throttle body will allow the throttle body to be fully open, I had to cut a plastic tab on the throttle body to allow the manual linkage mechanism to rotate fully to the WOT position. See pictures.
There are four plastic/rubber tabs as shown (2 on the left, two on the right). Cut the bottom right one off.
Once the bottom right one is cut off, this will allow the manual mechanism to rotate fully.

The throttle plate now fully opens.

No comments: